Believe it or not, it hasn’t gotten ridiculously hot out yet, and that means there are still plenty of good racing options in Central Texas. From the 5K to the 10K and beyond, roads and trails, here are some of the area’s race offerings!
- Saturday, May 11 at 8:00 a.m., Rock-Star Run 5K and 10K. Head up to Georgetown for this 5K/10K combo at San Gabriel State Park. This family-style run includes designer shirts, custom medals, chip-timing, live results and awards, free photos, costumes, free kids dash, great post-race food, and plenty of fun activities. And the course is supposed to be pretty flat too.
- One of Austin’s oldest 5Ks, the Daisy 5K will be held at Camp Mabry on Saturday, May 11 at 8:00 a.m. The course is relatively flat and runs through the grounds of historic Camp Mabry, starting and finishing by the track, with one water stop along the way.
- Trail Roots, featured in last week’s blog, will be hosting the Texas Switchback, their flagship event, consisting of 5K, 10K, 13.1, 26.2 trail races on Saturday, May 11. The races will take place at Flat Creek Crossing Ranch, a private ranch in between Dripping Springs and Johnson City just east of Pedernales State Park.
- The Deutschen Pfest 5K on Sunday May 19, at 8:00 a.m. at Pfluger Hall (203 East Pecan Street in Pflugerville) is another oldie-but-goodie. The course starts and finishes on South Railroad Avenue, adjacent to the fire station. After the race – Enjoy bananas, pizza, and beer* sponsored by the Growler Bar at the finish line and then head to Pfluger Park for the final day of Deutschen Pfest!
- It’s bound to be hot by Saturday, May 25 at 8:00 a.m., but you can cool off after the Deep in the Heart of Texas 5K at Typhoon Texas. All-day waterpark admission is included, so you can cool off at the pool after you cross the finish line.
- Lot’s to choose from here! On Saturday, June 1 (morning and evening races) the Texas Trail Running Festival 2M, 13.1M, 10K, 5K and 5K relay in Spicewood takes place. This unique event features one of Texas’ best swimming holes (Krause Springs) with great single-track trails. Add live music, a beautiful privately owned ranch, outdoor movies, free prize giveaways, food trucks, games, Family & Kids Zone, and trail running all day and night, and you have the Texas Trail Running Festival!
- Maudie’s Moonlight Margarita Run 5K set for Thursday, June 6 at 8:00 p.m. is an absolute Austin classic. The race takes begins on Walter Seaholm Drive and goes along Lady Bird Lake. Runners are treated to one big party at the finish line with a margarita and snacks provided by Maudie’s Tex-Mex.